Thursday, October 16, 2008

Lonely I wander through scenes of my childhood,
They call back to memory those happy days of yore
Gone are the old folk, the house that stands deserted,
No light in the windows, no welcome at the door.
Here's where the children played,
Here's where they sailed their wee boats on the burn,
Where are they now ?
Some are dead, some have wandered,
No more to their home shall those children return.
Lone is the house now and lonely the moorland,
The children are scattered, the old folk are gone,
Why stand I here like a ghost and a shadow ?'
Tis time I were moving, Tis time I passed on.

1 comment:

music child said...

This elegy explores lost childhood & unanswered yearnings.
The sense of bereavement has been so painstakingly explored in
"No light in the windows, no welcome at the door.
Here's where the children played,
Here's where they sailed their wee boats on the burn
Where are they now?"

"Why stand I here like a ghost and a shadow ?'
Tis time I were moving, Tis time I passed on."

This one is piercing & despairing.A cardinal work of art whichever way you look at it..